Useful local contact information

There are a lot of organisations and businesses locally that can help you with problems, or provide useful services. Here we will try to list as many as possible. If you know of any organisation that should be included in this list please get in touch and let us know.

Health and fitness

If you are experiencing money difficulties, there are a range of organisations that can help.

  • Dragon Savers Credit Union offers safe, community based savings and affordable loan schemes107 Bute Street, Treorchy, CF42 6AU. Telephone 01443 777043 or email
  • If you are worried about debt, there is CCCS, a charity who can offer free, impartial and very useful assistance in sorting out your debts, helping you budget and manage your debts, and can guide you through the process of clearing your debts easily and without worry.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau can help with a range of problems, including money worries. They can be contacted by telephone on Adviceline (land lines) 08444 77 20 20 (mobiles) 0300 4 568 356, or by emailing through the weblink above
  • CAB also hold a weekly drop in outreach session in Ystrad.  It is on Tuesday mornings between 9 and 11am.  You don’t need to book, but if your problem is complex it might be worth calling to arrange a specific appointment.  Alternatively you can contact us and we can make the arrangements for you.


  • If you are looking for help with setting up a business, or a social enterprise, you can get expert help from TABS in Porth. They currently have special programmes running for economically inactive young people (18-25) and would love to hear from you if you have a business idea you would like to explore. They can be contacted by telephone 01443 682312 or or email
  • If you are looking for help with job search skills, such as CV writing, form filling, or IT help, there is a range of help available.
  • The Penrhys Partnership currently runs the Big Click RCT project, which offers ICT support, and assists job clubs in the Rhondda Fach area.
  • Want 2 Work can help you if you are unemployed but not claiming Job Seekers Allowance. They can offer support with training, job search and applications, help with benefits, volunteering, starting a business, and skills and confidence building.

Older people

  • Age Concern Morgannwg is an excellent source of information relating to all matters concerning the over 50’s. They offer a wide range of services, and can benefit older people in many ways, including checking you are receiving your full benefit entitlement
  • The RCT Over 50’s Forum is another excellent source of help and advice, who regularly meet to discuss issues relating to life in the area for the over 50’s

Life in Rhondda Cynon Taff – council issues

Many of the day to day problems that the council are responsible for can be reported online.


If you encounter any issues you feel the police should be involved in, if there are problems happening on a regular basis in your community, then please contact your local PSCO for help.  Obviously, urgent police enquiries should go through the regular 999 number, but for less urgent problems, you will find the PSCO easy to reach.  The Ystrad contact is PCSO Cherilyn Prior, her contact details are on the OurBobby page.  If you are in a different area, you can find your local PSCO by searching for your location on this site